What to expect once your offer has been accepted…
Information You will Need Prior to Closing
Immediately upon acceptance of the final contract the following things need to happen:
1. Order a home inspection
Once the home inspection has been completed provide your realtor with a list of any items that you have concerns about or would like the seller to fix prior to closing. Your realtor will discuss these items with the seller’s realtor and come to a repair agreement if any items need to be addressed prior to the closing.
2. Determine if you would like a radon inspection and order it from the home inspector. Radon testing is performed to check if the home is at risk for the gas. Radon is an invisible and odorless gas. Both long and short term testing devices are available. Your home inspector can advise you as to which type of testing is best suited for the home.
3. If there is well water, you will need to have this inspected as well. Well water is analyzed to measure for possible bacterial contamination and/or chemical and mineral contamination. Your home inspector can take a sample to be tested and analyzed.
Contact your lender and notify them of your accepted offer and discuss locking in your rate and apply for a mortgage.
5. Purchase and Sales Agreement
This agreement is provided by the seller and reviewed by your lawyer or the closing attorney.
6. Commitment/Closing Prep
Once the Purchase and Sales has been signed by all parties the following needs to happen:
- Notify lender to order appraisal.
- Contact insurance company to set-up homeowner’s policy.
- Obtain change of address on the US Post Office website.
- Obtain commitment letter from the bank.
- Contact Lender to ensure that the closing date is on schedule.
- Contact your utility companies to schedule transfer.
7. Final Items to be completed prior to closing:
- Obtain and review HUD-1 closing documents.
- Verify that the repair items outlined in the inspection amendment have been addressed.
- Conduct final walk through within 24 hours prior to close. Date/time to be set up.
8. For Closing you will need the following items:
- Certified check for your down payment
- A photo ID
- A copy of the insurance policy
- Any additional documents requested by the lender
- A personal check in case there are any last minute items that come up.
If you use Ben and Kate Real Estate as your realtor we will hold your hand through all of the above tasks. We will provide you with each important date that each task needs to be completed by.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE PURCHASED YOUR NEW HOME!